- The Books Trust has put together a list of the best 100 children’s books of the past 100 years. There are some titles in the list that we remember from when we were young (not quite 100 years ago!) and some that, to be honest, we’ve not heard of. How many do you recognise? And how many have you read?
- The Daily Telegraph has put together a list here of what it thinks are the best 100 children’s books “of all time”. The list goes back to 1807 with Tales from Shakespeare by Charles and Mary Lamb. These retellings of the plays are “literary classics in their own right”, the newspaper says. We wouldn’t argue!
- If you want to come more up-to-date, here is a list of what are said to be 100 of the best children’s books of 2018.
- American charity Common Sense – dedicated to improving the lives of kids and families by “providing the trustworthy information, education, and independent voice they need to thrive in the 21st century”– suggests a list of 50 books all kids should read before they are 12.
- Amazon has a list of 100 children’s books to read in a lifetime and the benefit of this list, of course, is that you are just a click away from ordering each of the books!
We hope you will have fun browsing and that your young friends will have fun reading whatever you decide to buy.
But why restrict this to Christmas? A book may be for Christmas, but reading is for life. Opening up the world of books to young minds is one of the greatest gifts you can give.
And, if you make use of your local library, it need not be an endless expense.